Locations

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Farm life

Some Australian farm experience. From February to March I worked in a wheat and cotton farm. Excellent experience!

Building up irrigation tams
THE Tractor where I spent almost 2 month from dawn till dusk and sometimes even more. The tractor is on top of the irrigation bank we were building.


Morning
Morning, one of the few mornings we had a fog, luckily I had a camera with me


Farm in the morning
Wheat silos in the morning. On top of this silo my phone had even some coverage, but it was still too weak for calling or SMSing.

Main road
Main road.

Farm
Farm and just miles of flat land around it (I think the farm was around 4-5 km from the place I stood).


Mount Kaputar National Park. During a day off (I think it was Sunday) from work I decided to check out the far mountains I was able to see from the tractor on clear days - finally it was 170km drive to get there.


Mount Kaputar National Park. Same plant as on previous picture


Local lizard at the very top of Mt Kaputar (~1500m)

Kangaroo
And a local kangoroo just few meters lower.

Tree bark
I think this was eucalyptus bark - getting thicker and thicker with the purpose of protecting the tree from bushfires.

Mask
Mask, Mt Kaputar NP

For all the tractor drivers
After all the weeks in tractor I trully understand what was in the mind of the author of this statue :)

Russell - earthmover
My colleague on the battle field - Russell - driven these kind of monsters for almost 30 years. The monster - 90 ton full weight and going up to 60km/h - wouldn't like to be on its way :)

Earthmoving
Earthmoving

Portrait
Self portrait :)

">Great Artesian Basin
Great Artesian Basin. On one of the days we went after work to take a mineral bath just 50km from the farm. The hot mineral water is coming 24/7 from 3000m deep since the tube was placed there, if I remember correctly from Russell it was in 1920s.
I am not sure if I would have jumped in if passing there without a local. The place was just like some mud, when we arrived to the hole there was a tractor filling up a huge water tank. Next to the hole was an empty 1000L chemical container. Lets say it really didn't look like a modern Spa, but the water was excellent.


Great Artesian Basin
Great Artesian Basin.

Russell's UTE
UTE

No comments:

Post a Comment